Breast cancer is the most common type of malignant tumor in women. It is estimated that approximately 12% of women will experience some form of breast cancer over their lifetime. This makes recognizing possible symptoms early on extremely important since prompt detection often leads to increased survival rates. Here are five common signs and symptoms of breast cancer.
- A lump or area of thickened tissue in either one or both breasts: This is by far the most popular sign that women tend to look for when they suspect that something might be wrong with their breasts. It is also the most common symptom of breast cancer, occurring in about 80% of all breast cancer cases.
- A change in breast tissue, such as a partial or complete disappearance of a nipple: This symptom is not as common as a lump, but it’s still worth mentioning since this could indicate some other problem within the breast ducts. Again, it should always be brought to your doctor’s attention for further examination and possible diagnosis. It would be best if you visited a facility in your area conducting breast cancer screening, for example, breast cancer Newport beach-based.
- Discharge from either one or both nipples: like changes to the breasts, discharges from either one or both of the nipples are not as common as some of the other signs/symptoms listed here. That being said, it may be cause for concern if your discharge suddenly changes colors or consistency. It could indicate a problem with one of your breast ducts.
- Skin irritation: Be sure to always watch for any signs of skin irritation on your breasts; this could indicate some infection in the breast ducts. If you experience itching, burning, or pain accompanied by a color change to the skin around one or both of your nipples, then you must notify your doctor as soon as possible.
- Dimpling: Although less common than other symptoms listed here, dimpling (or puckering) on and around the nipple can be an indication of breast cancer. Although no research has been conducted directly linking dimpled skin to cancerous growths, women who experience this symptom should bring it to their doctors during their next exams.
If any of the above signs and symptoms are present, it’s best to schedule an appointment with your doctor. Early detection greatly increases the likelihood of survival of breast cancer.